The Hoag Memorial Hospital began as an idea way back in 1944. The Reverend Raymond Brahams, other Presbyterian Church members and a physician formed a corporation together called “The Presbyterian Hospital of Laguna Beach.” Together, they began to raise funding to build a hospital to serve the communities in Orange County California.
However, it would be a few years before the vision for this hospital could become reality, there were some hiccups on the road to the building. Though they were able to secure the property for the hospital, after World War II they were unable to afford the higher cost of construction in order to begin building.
The Hoag Family Foundation, founded by George Hoag, was established 10 years prior to the incidents regarding the hospital. The Hoag Family Foundation was gracious enough to donate enough funds to build the hospital. Due to the support of both the community and the Hoag family, the hospital was completed, and opened on September 15, 1952.
Today the Hoag Memorial Hospital has several awards and accreditations as a result of the excellent care given there. Hoag was also names one of the America’s top 50 hospitals by an independent researching firm, and was also awarded the Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence, the Critical Care Excellence Award, the Pulmonary Care Excellence Award and the Stroke Care Excellence Award.
David Gianulias is a pillar of the Orange County community, and recognizes the excellent work done at Hoag Memorial Hospital. His grandfather Charles Hester also helped the hospital, and the lobby in the new tower bears his and his wife’s name. This is why he has donated his money to the running of the hospital, so that it can continue it’s legacy of dedicated care to the community.