David Gianulias, a long-time professional in the building and construction industries, knows the ins and outs of the home building process. With his family company, Three G Development, he has supervised the construction of many new homes in Southern California. Building a new home is an exciting venture for any home owner, though the steps may be intimidating. Here he explains the beginning parts of the home building phase.
- When a homeowner decides to build, the first thing they will need is a piece of land to erect their new dwelling. Considering that the land has been purchased, that lot or acreage will need to be prepared. This is the first step to building any new home. If the site is not prepared properly, all types of issues will arise over time.
- Wooded or overgrown lots will need to be cleared for construction. Also, if the land is uneven or not graded efficiently, that should be handled at the beginning. If there is a considerable amount of debris or rocks on the land, those will likely need to be removed with heavy machinery. If the homeowner intends to use a septic tank, its placement will be decided and the well area will be dug.
- Homes that will have a basement will have additional steps at this point, such as digging up the appropriate depth for that room or rooms. Regardless of whether the home has a basement or a slab foundation alone, those areas will need to be framed out after the ground is sufficiently leveled says David Gianulias.
Serving as one of the founders of the Levendi Winery in California, David Gianulias is known amongst his friends as a great resource for wine knowledge. Many people ask him how he chooses which wine to bring to a gathering or function held by someone else. To answer their queries, he gives the following advice.
- For those who are new to the world of wine, selecting the right offering for a dinner party or other occasion can be very intimidating. Before shopping for a wine choice, it is important to ask a few questions and understand the nature of the gathering. Armed with a little knowledge beforehand will make the whole process easier and overall more successful.
- In most cases, wine selection will firstly be determined by the food that is being served at the event. Knowing how to pair wine with food is something that is learned over time. There are, however, a few standard rules that can make even the novice wine connoisseur have an easier time in choosing.
- If the event will also serve food that is bold in flavor, the wine must accentuate and have the ability to stand up to those robust flavors. This is often the case when red meats, game, and acidic or tomato based pasta sauces are being served. For these types of menus, choose a red wine. If the food served will be lighter in flavor, such as chicken, fish, or creamy sauces, choose a white wine. The exception to this rule is when spicy foods are served. Regardless of whether the foods would fit into the traditional red or white categories, it is smart to pair spicy foods with a sweeter wine to promote balance on the palate.
- If the event will not have food served as well, a few classic choices for sipping wines include a Cabernet, Pinot Noir, or Riesling. Certain Sauvignon Blancs are also good for simple sipping without the accompaniment of foods.
- The next choice Gianulias will make is based on the region where the grapes were grown. He is of course partial to the Napa Valley region, though knows that many fabulous vintages are found around the world. He recommends that those who are new to wine play it safe and select wines from France or the Tuscan region of Italy.
- To narrow down his selection at this point, he must choose a specific varietal or blend. If, for example, he has determined that a red wine from Australia will be the hit of the party, he often selects a Syrah. Depending upon the food and the region, there are still many delicious choices at hand, explains David Gianulias.
CEO and Founder of Three G Development, David Gianulias, is well versed in the facets of home building. Having worked with his family’s company for many years to build homes and other recognized structures in Southern California, here he offers tips for others who are looking to build their dream home.
- It is important to have a good plan before undertaking a home building project. Improper planning is one of the biggest reasons why home building ventures fails, often costing the home owner a considerable amount of money. Before breaking ground on a new property, double check all of the facts and figures. Verify with the local county as to any ordinances or permit issues that may be in place and keep an inspector on call at all times.
- All home builders need to know how to budget their funds and how to stick to that budget. If poor planning does not cause a home building mess, a faulty budget will. If after planning the home an owner figures a specific cost, expect that cost to be as much as twenty-five to forty percent higher by the time the house is complete. Unfortunately, building a home is one of the times when hidden costs and spending opportunities run rampant. If there is a certain budget, an amount of money that cannot be crossed, the home builder should always try to come in under that budget.
- It is always a good idea to seek help from the professionals. People like contractors, engineers, and architects design and build homes for a living. They are an invaluable reference point for any individual home builder. Their services or consultations may cost the builder, but are worth it in the long-run if it means avoiding a mistake that could be even more costly. Often, these professionals will also have a realistic perspective on the space available and how the home should be laid out for the best flow.
- Many new home builders are wrapped up in the aesthetics of their newly built home, and forget to watch the bare bones. The Heating, Ventilation, and Air-Conditioning (HVAC) systems are parts of the home that are unseen but hugely important. Not only will a poor HVAC system lead to discomfort in the house and higher energy bills, it can also lead to serious health hazards. Proper ventilation, for example, decreases the risk of mold growth. Certain types of mold can be deadly to the home’s inhabitants. Installing HVAC units that are the proper size for the square footage of the home is also important. David Gianulias tells his clients that lighting and window placement is another area where home builders should pay close attention.
David Gianulias and his family have always had a passion for wine, which is one of the many reasons why Levendi Winery has become such a success since it was founded in the year 2000. Though the winery predominantly manufactures white wines, it can’t be denied that a quality red wine is able to provide a slew of benefits to drinkers, especially in terms of their health. Below are some of the many health benefits that are commonly associated with drinking red wine.
Good For Your Heart
Red wine contains an anti-oxidant called Resveratrol, which is able to reduce the amount of saturated fats that clog up your arteries. This leads to better circulation of the blood in your body, which serve to keep your heart in great condition. While it would be inaccurate to say that red wine drinkers are immune from heart disease, those who enjoy a glass every day will certainly enjoy a reduced possibility of suffering from such ailments.
It’s Good For Your Mind
It is widely-believed that red wine works to keep the mind more active, which in turn serves to put off the effects of aging while ensuring you enjoy a higher level of mental agility. Some have also theorized that those who drink red wine on a regular basis are at less risk of suffering from ailments such as Alzheimer’s disease.
David Gianulias entered the wine industry because it is something that his family has always been passionate about and he uses recipes and methods. A good bottle of red wine will contain a substance known as melatonin, which is commonly linked to improving sleep patterns. While this certainly doesn’t mean that you should drink a lot of red wine if you suffer from insomnia, the occasional glass should up your melatonin levels and make it easier to enjoy a regular sleeping pattern.